Pocket Shiva Nata
So. After six months filled with crazy hard work, our lovely baby — Pocket Shiva Nata — is here and alive and kicking!
As of right now. Hooray!
And there was great rejoicing, but also MAYHEM and HAPPY FLAILING and general brain scramble of the best possible kind. Again: Hooray!
In my brain-scrambled, state, here’s what I can tell you about our shiny new Pocket Shiva Nata baby:
- This app is a practice tool for the first three levels of Shiva Nata – designed to complement our Starter Kit and Andrey’s DVD.
- If you have an iPhone, oh boy! This is very good news, shivanautically speaking!
- Or an iPad. Or an iPod touch. Or something that runs apps from the Apple store (iOS 3.2.2 or later). Yay.
- Familiarity with the eight basic starting positions is assumed.
- If you don’t have the Starter Kit but you’ve taken a class with me, you’ll be fine.
- There is a stylized animated me doing the positions.
- My voice calls the numbers (you can turn that on or off).
- There are animated graphics and large numbers which show each position while it’s happening (you can turn the numbers on and off too).
- You can adjust the speed to your own abilities (from super slow to outrageously fast), and turn on/off audio, visual, and textual cues as you like.
- There’s a reminder function, which means your device (device!) will let you know once a day that it’s flailing time! This might be my favorite part.
- You can pause it whenever you want, or start in the middle of a level or repeat things.
- You can have the numbers be in 1-4 mode, or make it extra-fabulous/hard with 1-8 mode. Unless you studied with me and started off with 1-8, in which case 1-4 might be harder!
- The entire thing (code, graphics, recording) was made in Portland, Oregon, home of the Playground. :)
- Sadly, there will not be a Droid app version of this any time soon. Unless you happen to be a shivanaut Droid app programmer who wants to donate your services for a collaboration on this, but I’m guessing that this is not a likely thing.
- There is no app for the higher levels. If you want to go deeper into the higher levels of the practice, get thee to the awesome Secret Lab!
- We had an amazing programmer working on this, huge support from loving helper mice, and this was a beautiful team effort. I am full of appreciation for everything that went into making this a reality.
- It was a labor of love! One quarter of the price makes it back to us, which in about twenty years should cover the time and effort that went into making this happen. Totally one hundred percent worth it, though, because a world with more Shiva Nata in it is the world I want to live in!
That’s the news….
Happy, happy flailing! Let the crazed zaptastic getting-lost begin!
What I would love right now:
1.5) Confetti! Shaped like stars! Or asparagus. I don’t know. Invent confetti!
2) Love and good wishes for all the amazing people who helped make this possible: Dave (of Fortified Studios), Richard and Casey: you guys are the best!
3) PLEASE PLEASE as many positive reviews as possible in the app store — the sooner the better.
And here’s the link again: The Pocket Shiva Nata app!
Thank you thank you thank you. And ohmygoodness hooray!