So you may have heard that the Shivanauts are gleefully sponsoring Guns N Rollers — one of Portland’s extremely awesome Roller Derby teams (okay, the awesomest).
In case you were wondering what’s up with that, I thought I’d let you in on the secret Dance of Shiva Roller Derby connection …
The Dance of Shiva Roller Derby connection.
Dance of Shiva:
- is the fastest way I know of to become insanely coordinated.
- gives you just ridiculous physical agility, stability, speed of reaction.
- makes you graceful as hell.
- teaches you to completely own your own mental, emotional and physical space.
- helps you find that invisible crown of sovereignty.
- turns you into the one who cannot be shaken.
- launches you into a state of intense focus and concentration.
- lets you restructure the matrix and use the force.
- makes you the one who can dance between the rain drops, spot the openings, be untouchable.
- teaches you to see the connections, know the weaknesses and use the strengths.
- is like a wacky forcefield.
- is occasionally done while listening to The Clash.
- is really probably the only obscure yoga-based training about which you could easily say “that’s so punk rock”.
“That’s so punk rock!”
So it’s basically love at first sight.
Roller Derby is all about being agile.
Agile thinking, agile movement, agile reaction, agile being.
Sure, it’s also about being fast, hot, powerful and fabulous.
But it’s really about this core quality of agility in all of its possible forms.
Having a mental map of where everything and everyone is, even when it’s happening behind you.
Being able to find the hidden openings at will. Always knowing what your options are. Knowing what to use and when to use it.
Your mind’s ability to be constantly tracking everything that’s important: moving people, moving targets and that steady flow of highly complex, constantly-changing information.
Focus. Serious, serious focus.
All that is pretty much what Dance of Shiva does best.
Because Dance of Shiva is the thing that trains your brain to see and understand the connections between things.
It’s liquid math, done with your body.
It’s the thing that lets you build and strengthen new neural connections so that you can think structurally and systematically, creatively and surprisingly, all at the same time.
It’s brain training that gives you the ability to react faster to whatever comes your way. Also scary triceps.
And it quiets your thoughts. Gets you where you need to go. Sets you on fire because anything is possible and possibility is the biggest high there is.
You can see possibility. You can breathe possibility. You can act on possibility.
Obviously, I’m pretty excited about us hooking up. Can you tell?
Oh, I don’t know.
I’ve been teaching this stuff to yoga people and movement professionals for the past six years.
And then in the past two years I’ve been teaching it to entrepreneurs and creative thinkers and artists. And seeing crazy-wonderful things happen.
Derby needs Shiva Nata.
And the Shivanauts are ready to bring some of their power and love and silliness to Derby.
We also kind of have a lot in common. Like campiness, fabulousness and stripey socks. And drag names.
And we make up words! Like shivanautical or destuckification if you’re me. And brutalitarian dominatoration and butt rocking-est if you’re Guns N Rollers. See?
So we’ll see what happens.
In the meantime….
Ass-kicking coolness on skates! Best. Sport. Ever.
My duck and l will see you at the bout!
p.s. GUNS N ROLLERS! Rawr!